Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Sacri-licious

This is probably going to be one of many "what is the world coming to" posts, but I am not one to offer many disclaimers (shya right)... so moving on.

One of the places that I hate to see change has undergone a pretty moronic facelift. The Clare City bakery, once a haven for my hometown doughnut obsession and employer of my Grandma Lietzke, has been bought out by a bunch of local cops. This is ludicrous! I'll even go so far as to call this "sacri-licious!"

The memories are very vivid for me, but they're all being replaced by homogeneous, mass-produced merchandise and now there's even talk of this place becoming a rubric/prototype for future doughnut venues nationwide. Queer slogans plastered across the backs of t-shirts and other stupid objects (like teddie bears and coffee mugs) placed under the "Shameless Commerce Division" (sorry guys, even though you pointed it out, doesn't mean I'll pay for your advertising on my clothing) of their website read "You Have the Right to Remain Glazed" and "Fighting Crime One Donut at a Time." Seriously, whomever buys this junk is a loser.

Truly, yes, I'm an advocate of local business ownership and economical repositioning (especially in Clare) but give me a break. Is this going to be similar to the great Mountain Country Music Festival debaucle in Farwell circa 2007? (I'd add a link, but nothing seems to work... oh well, Phil Coultrip is probably in prison and I'm relatively positive they still haven't retrieved the password from that laptop that I royally jacked up when I was "no longer needed" to write their press releases mwahahahaha!) Or what about the reality TV crew that the Clare school board welcomed in to exploit the area and inspire the student body? (Oh, this will definitely be a future post, just you wait.)

I'm pretty bummed out about this whole thing. When I was a little girl, my sisters and I would stop in to the bakery with our mom (to visit Gram) and to pick out our own doughnuts. Old timers sat around sipping coffee and the patrons were invited to have a real, authentic hometown bakery experience without all of the frills. When standing next to the enormous glass counter, there were lots of choices to make: from cream bread to day old wares. I always opted for the swirled cinnamon bun with the sugary white glaze on the top and the tiny toasted flecks of coconut (which is unlike any I've had anywhere else.) Man, I'm telling you, if that is no longer there then I'll be really sad.

Sacri-licious indeed (See, I coined my own jack-ass slogan... anybody can do it... and I don't even wear a badge.)

No comments:

Post a Comment