Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Paper Heart opened...

...over the weekend at select theatres, opened my brain, and opened my wallet (I'm a jack-ass who is willing to pay more to park than for the actual film.) Reality and fiction share the screen in Paper Heart, a fictional tale of fledgling romance wrapped inside a documentary about whether or not love exists. 23-year-old comedian Charlyne Yi (who also stars in the film) introduces viewers to biologists, bikers, a romance novelist, a couple married for 50 years and others who talk about love and how to recognize it. Yi interviews people across the country, then plays a fictional character based on herself who falls in love with a guy named Michael (Michael Cera playing a version of himself).








Even thought I was by myself, I was totally taken by it. I enjoyed the fact that Yi utilized her child-like, humorous approach to get to the bottom of the "does love exist?" conundrum... and of course it made me feel good thinking about certain people that I've always been at a loss in considering my love for (or lack thereof.) So if you're a disgruntled old spinster like myself, you should definitely catch the flick... you'll probably have to wait for it to come out on DVD. Sometimes the simplest of notions can be the most profound.

And, as Rev. Run will tell you, GOD IS LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment