Sunday, September 13, 2009

Third Teaching Reflection

Ok, so to continue.... am I a good teacher?

Here's what I've been thinking about (kind of a stream-of-consciousness bit of writing):

To be a good teacher is to be pretty vulnerable (or to try to be more so.) Bringing more vulnerability to my teaching does not mean eliminating all professional boundaries. The relationship between me and my students is about learning, but I find that they need to be able to identfy with me... which will lead them to engage with the material that we cover in class. I believe they need not know much about my personal life in order for me to be an effective teacher. I use anecdotal examples drawn from my life: my sister's artwork, joking with my mom, my dad's work as a carpenter, my misunderstandings that I endure with my best guy friend. On the flip side, various demands on my time, my emotional struggles, my home life -- I sometimes see those as inappropriate to share with the students. It's imperative that a good teacher knows the difference (which I usually do.)

Whoa... lots was said here. I think I need to go relax and ruminate for a while LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment