Monday, September 28, 2009

Getting Pumped Over Fractured Weather

As many of you may already know, Fall is my favorite time of year. Even though I've heard a lot of whining about the weather, I'm pretty pumped for October. These next couple of weeks will be awesome if I can hang on for dear life with my coursework while maintaining my social status ;-)

Today I'm reminding myself that daily routine stuff and needful pleasures MUST happen before readings, meetings, writings, phone calls, and emails. So, after reading everyone's updates on FB about chili I decided to make a really good meat sauce with spaghetti:



It's always easier for me to cook a large pot of pasta and continue eating it for the rest of the week, storing it in the fridge, and allowing for at least one hot meal per day. It's really quick to warm up too. As you can see, it's a massive portion, but there's several reasons for that (the two main ones being that I'm trying not to eat out and I've quit smoking again.) Nevertheless, I'm glad that I finally took the time to cook another meal at home. I'm going to keep trying to get back to my daily routine as I mentioned before... I mean really, we all know that I prefer cooking and eating over writing silly little documents such as the annoying teaching philosophy!**

As an aside, I also want to highlight the following book Fracture: Adventures of a Broken Body by Ann Oakley. It was practically screaming for me to read it! I'm really excited that I found a autoethnographic piece that is so stunningly similar to my own broken bones. How didn't I know about this earlier?!? As Susie Orbach, feminist scholar,
psychoanalyst, and writer of Fat is a Feminist Issue posited that it is: "A new book [that] engages us. Fracture weaves Oakley's personal story with a very fine meditation on the body. Reading it opens up important questions about the meaning of where we live from." It will definitely show up in my reference lists I'm sure (especially now that I'm going under the knife again soon courtesy of my bionic leg.)


(Sorry Rachael... I know I've told you about it twice now.)



**I'll move on to that next as long as I stop procrastinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment